2021 Open Championships: Long Term Championship Office Internships
United States Golf Association (USGA)
The Championship Office is a fast-paced working environment. The Championship Administration Intern must have the ability to work under pressure and handle many tasks at one time. Each day brings new challenges and interns must have top-notch organizational and communication skills. On a daily basis, the intern will find themselves working in a typical office environment as well as significant work done in exterior environs. The ability to handle physical tasks such as lifting boxes and manual labor may be required at times. In the weeks leading up to the Championship, the intern will work at least (40) hour work weeks; however, as we grow closer to the Championship, work weeks will lengthen to eighty plus hours (80+) and will include weekends. An internship with the United States Golf Association is a tremendous first step for a career in the fields of special event management and professional sports.
The Championship Administration Intern will assist with the day-to-day administrative management of the Championship Office and as the Championship draws closer, be assigned to focus on either the Player Services, Public Safety, Parking & Transportation or the Volunteer program.
- Answering phones, preparing mailings, opening incoming mail, UPS shipping/receiving.
- Keeping the Championship, Player Services and Volunteer Services offices neat, clean and organized.
- Answering incoming e-mails to the Championship email account.
- Maintain all necessary office supplies and order items as necessary. May require local trips to pick-up any critical items as needed.
- Assist in taking and distributing notes for meetings as necessary.
The Volunteer Program duties will include:
- Assisting with the creation of various correspondences including letters, emails and the Volunteer Newsletter.
- Assisting with volunteer training including organizing training session materials and credential packets, volunteer handbooks, and the distribution of volunteer credentials along with other important information.
- Managing the concerns, questions and requests of volunteers before and during the Championship.
- Assisting Committee Chairs with their responsibilities including volunteer scheduling, site visits and managing volunteer committees during the week of the Championship.
- Setting up, organizing and tearing down volunteer areas on Championship grounds.
Public Safety and Transportation:
- The Public Safety Plan for U.S. Open Championships encompasses an umbrella of elements including security, parking and transportation and medical support. The plan entails coverage of the entire site as well as off-site elements that are critical to providing a safe and secure environment for all attendees at the championship.
- You will work with the parking services company (or companies) to ensure that they have the necessary resources procured and delivered to each parking site and assist in developing parking lot operational plans.
- You will liaise with the local and state police and assist them in the execution of their duties. Develop post duties for each traffic post.
- Coordinate the USGA effort for all law enforcement meetings including:1) prepare all printed materials; 2) assist with presentations, including PowerPoint if needed.
- Coordinate with the shuttle bus companies to make certain that the appropriate number of shuttle buses are in rotation at the correct times and consistent with documented schedules.
- Coordinate with the operations team and respective vendors to ensure necessary tents, bike rack, signage, restrooms and all other equipment and assets are in place at parking lots or depots prior to the start of the Championship.
- Assume the administrative role defined above within the Player Services Office in the weeks leading up to, during and after the Championship.
- Support the Player Services Team in coordinating the player home rental program, including communicating via phone and e-mail with homeowners, scheduling and attending in-home visits to confirm accuracy of information provided by homeowners, and assisting player representation with home rental information.
- Assist with the distribution and collection of player and VIP courtesy vehicles.
- Assist in the planning and execution efforts of the player spouse gift bags and spouse trip.
- Assist with the distribution of credentials, packets and information to players and their support groups.
- In conjunction with USGA Staff, coordinate staff meal plans for USGA Championship Office. Develop meal options considering budgetary requirements, delivery options, etc.
- Prepare onsite USGA Championship Office and Player Services Office setup and removal for temporary office workspaces.
- Ability to work long and strenuous hours (40 – 80+ hour work week)
- Effective communication with a wide variety of individuals involved in a national championship
- Resourceful, presentable, courteous, friendly and organized
- Good follow-up skills and ability to handle issues quickly and calmly
- Ability to work independently and support the team
- Ability to work and prepare documents within Microsoft Office Suite - above average knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, & PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to follow and execute detailed plans – able to anticipate and analyze problems and provide logical solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure
How To Apply
Cedar Stars Rush
- The Assistant General Manager will work directly with the General Manager to run the day to day operations of the organization. You will get a first hand opportunity to ...
4 hours ago
- JOB TITLE: Senior Account Executive, Corporate Partnership Sales DEPARTMENT: Corporate Partnerships REPORTS TO: Vice President, Corporate Partnerships POSITION SU...
4 hours ago