DIRECTOR OF EVENTS AND OPERATIONS
Savannah Arena & Savannah Civic Center
How to apply
OVG Facilities has an exciting opening for a Director of Events and Operations for the new Savannah Arena opening in 2022 and the Savannah Civic Center. The Savannah Arena will boast a 9,500-seat arena with luxury suites, club seating, and first-rate food and beverage. The new Arena will bolster entertainment in Southern Georgia by hosting must-see national touring concerts, family shows, comedians, and more. The venue is also set to expand sports in the region by introducing a tenant ECHL hockey team along with presenting professional, collegiate and amateur sporting events.
Utilizing independent judgment, the Director of Operations manages, supervises and coordinates the day-to-day operations for the Savannah Arena, including event management, engineering, maintenance, set-up/changeovers, custodial/housekeeping, and grounds keeping. Provides overall administrative planning, direction, and policies to staff, assuring the highest quality service program to assure booking/rebooking of events. Ensures an effective and cost-efficient program by controlling the departmental operating budget. Provides highly responsible staff assistance to the General Manager.
- Oversees overall daily operation and maintenance of the facility and all systems. This includes HVAC, sound, lighting, ice making, fire protection, life safety, workplace safety, communications, scoreboard, etc.
- Oversees the advancing and communicating event information to the appropriate departments and staff.
- Oversees custodial and sanitization services for entire facility.
- Negotiates and administers labor group contracts (Stagehands).
- Ultimately responsible for installation and maintenance of ice surfaces.
- Oversees the operation of event set-up and tear-down, i.e. basketball floor, stage risers, chairs, signs, hockey glass, and dasher boards, etc.
- Acts as liaison with City Services for numerous facility related functions (City Codes, Parking, Licenses, permits, etc.).
- Responsible for Health & Safety compliance.
- Ensure successful event coordination activities by supervising and training production managers, Event Manager and/or Coordinator(s). Plan, organize and assign all day-to-day work assignments for Event Services Department personnel including Event Manager, Event Coordinator(s), and Security personnel.
- Direct, hire, supervise and schedule all aspects of operations including event coordination and services, event staffing, security, crowd and risk management, police, fire and safety personnel, and ADA compliance.
- Responsible for all summaries of events produced by the Event Services Department.
- Develop operating procedures that conform to corporate standards, customized to the specific needs of the facility and consistent with the goals and objectives of the client, facility and corporation.
- Manage subordinate supervisors who oversee employees in various functions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Attend department head meetings and staff meetings. Develop and maintain a harmonious working relationship with all of the other departments.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget and recommend an annual capital budget for long-range repairs and improvements to the facility. Authorize the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines.
- Know and ensure all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed. Develop program to train all employees on fire/life safety and emergency procedures.
- Investigate, analyze and resolve operational problems and complaints. Conduct periodic staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems, and policy changes.
- Coordinate events on selected shows/meetings.
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of service agreements for event services security, event staffing and other agreements as needed. Review contracts for compliance with event and/or government specifications and suitability for occupancy.
- Act as liaison between unions, tenants, facility contractors and county emergency personnel as needed.
- Develop and implement emergency procedures, and safety and risk management policies.
- Make immediate decisions and communicate with all users of the facility in an emergency.
- Researches, reviews and recommends equipment, materials and supplies required in providing event services and planning.
- Prepares schedules and assigns events to the Operations and Event staff.
- Meets with potential clients, advises them on the facility requirements, and negotiates sales of additional services.
- Works with internal service partners to provide quality service to customers.
- Serves as liaison for all facility clients to ensure highest level of customer service for all external service providers.
- Manages meetings, tradeshows, conventions, and conferences contracted at the facility.
- Develops policies and procedures for the Event Services and monitors their effectiveness.
- Establishes new standards of customer service by working with departments in the facility.
- Develop and maintain a harmonious working relationship with all other departments.
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facility and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operations, in compliance with organization.
- Oversees the development of work plans, show floor set-ups, assigns appropriate duties to subordinates; makes hiring decisions.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
Nonessential Job Functions:
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s/Technical degree from an accredited college/university/school required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in facility operations management
- Related experience and/or training in the public assembly industry in a supervisory or management position
- Must show demonstrated knowledge of physical plant management, supervisory skills and experience in work crew supervision in facility operations.
- Ability to work event nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control.
- Knowledge of OSHA requirements.
- Knowledge of boilers, chillers, refrigeration and ice making
- Knowledge of Fire Alarm / Fire Protection systems
- Knowledge of Burglar / Hold up Alarm systems
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
- Occasional Travel may be required.
- Work hours may vary -- Ability to work irregular hours during events, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Proficient knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office software
- Operate standard office equipment including printer, copier, typewriter and fax machine.
Intellectual/Social, Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How To Apply
Northern Ohio PGA Section
- Execute pre-tournament responsibilities, such as golf course marking, tee and hole location selection, equipment set-up and developing operational plans Administer...
8 hours ago
Northern Ohio PGA Section
- Execute pre-tournament responsibilities, such as tournament infrastructure and course marking and set-up Administer on-site responsibilities, such as player regist...
8 hours ago