Director, Player Identification
How to apply
The Director of Player Identification serves as a key member of the baseball operations leadership team which includes the General Manager of National Teams, Senior Director of Baseball Operations and Director of Player Development.
This individual will lead the organization’s identification and selection of athletes for the Appalachian League, MLB Draft Combine, 18U National Team, PDP League, PDP Premier events, and the 16U/17U National Team Development Program.
The Director of Player Identification will also serve as the liaison between Major League Baseball, the 30 MLB Clubs and USA Baseball on the identification and selection of athletes for these programs.
This is a high-profile and detail oriented position for one of the premier National Governing Bodies (NGB) in the United States with a full-time team of 33 and an annual operating budget of approximately $20M.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Commissioner’s Office, the 30 MLB Clubs and USA Baseball for the identification and selection of athletes for the Appalachian League and the organization’s 18U programs.
- Chair selection committees for the Appalachian League and 18U programs, including the MLB Draft Combine and PDP League.
- Develop and implement an organization-wide scouting and athlete-tracking system which can be implemented across all national teams and programs.
- Create and file internal scouting reports on all national team players and athletes at select events.
- Analyze and provide feedback on hitter and pitcher deficiencies using reports and emerging technologies.
- Assist in the development of the itinerary/schedule for the MLB Draft Combine and the PDP League.
- Engage and communicate with national team players during the season and offseason.
- Work with the organization’s Senior Director of Technology to identify new technologies which can be integrated into the organization’s scouting program.
- Work with national team coaches across all programs on player selection and on-field strategy.
- Travel to MLB Youth Development Events and national team identification events throughout the United States and to international competitions.
- On-site scouting during the 16U/17U National Team Development Program, PDP League, and 18U National Team Trials, which will feed the selection process for the 18U National Team.
- Minimum of five years of amateur scouting experience with a Major League Baseball Club.
- Strong knowledge of the 2022, 2023 and 2024 MLB Draft classes.
- Complete understanding of advanced hitting and pitching analytics and how to apply them to scouting reports.
- Demonstrated experience with technology platforms including Diamond Kinetics, Rapsodo, and Trackman.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with sensitive athlete data.
- Ability to manage a diverse project load, maintain attention to detail, and regularly communicate and build strong, positive relationships with staff.
- Maintain flexible and adaptable work schedule for changing organizational needs.
- 10+ years of amateur scouting experience with a Major League Baseball Club.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Professional or collegiate playing or coaching experience.
- Management experience in the non-profit sector.
- Previous event management leadership experience.