Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach
Canadian Sport Institute Pacific
The Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach provides strength & conditioning support to the National Teams & NextGen Programs based at CSI Pacific’s Victoria campus. This position is designed for an individual with minimal experience in a high-performance training environment and will receive tangible skill development through mentorship from a range of PS2 to PS4 strength and conditioning coaches.
CORE COMPETENCIES: CSI PACIFIC
SECONDARY COMPETENCIES / REQUIRED SKILLS: STENGTH & CONDITIONING
- Strength & Conditioning Skills
- Assessment Abilities
- Analytical Thinking
- Computer Skills
- Achievement Orientation
- Interpersonal Skills
- Relationship Management
CORE STRATEGY: STENGTH & CONDITIONING
The Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach will assist in the preparation of Victoria based National Teams & NextGen Programs through evidence-based interventions, world-leading service, and consultations with sports coaches. In addition, they will assist in the weekly maintenance and upkeep of the High-Performance Gym & Recovery Area in Victoria. This position will require on-site attendance at sport-specific training sessions and possible travel.
- Supervise strength & conditioning sessions ensuring proper technique is utilized and hygiene/safety standards are followed.
- With guidance from the senior strength & conditioning coaches; evaluate and prioritize those fitness components necessary to achieve optimal performance levels.
- With guidance from the senior strength & conditioning coaches; establish short- and long-term goals, designing strength & conditioning programs for individual athletes and determine all aspects of training cycles.
- Consult with sport medicine and para-medical professionals to ensure programs minimize the risk and severity of potential injuries and collaborate to provide rehabilitation as appropriate.
- Test and evaluate new strength & conditioning approaches or equipment (e.g. ballistic measurement system) to determine value with regard to assigned sports.
- Record strength & conditioning data, maintain database and provide input into database development and enhancement.
- Conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning exercises in training and prior to competition as required.
- Organize and conduct follow-up testing/evaluation as required both in the field and using the sport performance labs.
- In cooperation with sports physiologists, observe and measure physical fitness levels and changes and provides progress reports.
- Monitor progress; review with coach and athlete; and adjust program, schedule or routine accordingly.
- Recent graduates of Masters or Ph.D. programs in sports science or related area
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) Certification or equivalent
- NCCP Olympic Weightlifting or equivalent
- First Aid & CPR-C
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Background in sport as a former athlete or coach considered an asset
- 1-3 years’ experience in a high-performance training environment
This is a two year contract with a remuneration of $37,500 for the first year and $40,000 for the second. The successful applicant will also have professional development opportunities