Head Coach – Men’s Volleyball Team
The Trent Excalibur Men’s Volleyball Varsity Head Coach, reporting to the Director of Athletics & Recreation, will join an athletics program that has a visionary Athlete Development Model, a leading-edge Coach Development Model and develops all sport programs under the auspice of the Canadian Sport for Life’s Long Term Athlete Development model.
This position is responsible for providing exemplary leadership of the Men’s Volleyball program. This is established through the coaching, recruitment/retention and public relations duties required to form and lead a competitive and successful team, while promoting academic success for the student-athletes.
This position establishes and maintains the level of professional relationships that support exceptional collaboration with stakeholders including students, parents, faculty, and the community. This is a high-volume position that works under pressure in a fast-paced environment, multi-tasking to meet competing deadlines.
It is also a high-profile position and is very visible and influential in the University and within the OUA and USports. Potential candidates must recognize the responsibility that comes with this role and ensure that their conduct reflects positively on Trent University, the Athletics & Recreation Department, and the Excalibur team as a whole.
- Coach and lead a competitive high-performance program.
- Develop and execute a short- and long-term plan for recruitment
and retention of skilled and academically qualified student-athletes to
the Men’s Volleyball program.
- Develop an annual program and recruitment plan and communicates this to the Athletics & Recreation Department.
- Plan and implement player training and evaluation methods that are current and individualized.
- Provide appropriate awareness and concern for student-athletes academic performance and provide direction for assistance when and where needed.
- Steward team financial fundraising accounts including the development of a five-year budget plan and the management of team and related accounts, monitor expenditures and develop appropriate reporting tools. Ensure all processes align with and adhere to Trent University policies.
- Collaborate with the Director, Athletics & Recreation on the development of donor and sponsor engagement opportunities.
- Select, coordinate, and manage staff or volunteers that support the Men’s Volleyball program.
- Support and act in accordance with the strategic direction and initiatives of Athletics & Recreation Department and Trent University.
- Monitor and administer facility and equipment needs for the program.
- Working with the Athletics & Recreation Department, ensure liability and risks associated with the Men’s Volleyball program are managed effectively.
- Maintain high personal standards of behaviour and conduct to serve as a role model and mentor.
- Serve as a leader and valuable resource person within the profession and within the sport.
- Collaborate with other coaches and staff in support of the overall mission and strategic direction of Trent Athletics & Recreation Department.
- Ability to lead, grow and motivate a high performance team.
- Superior ability to develop and maintain respectful, supportive and collaborative relationships with others whether as a peer or as a coach;
- Strong appreciation for understanding of, and sensitivity towards the needs of a diverse body of students and student-athletes;
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation;
- Ability to establish medium to long-term goals and vision;
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability on multiple projects with competing demands to meet deadlines;
- Budget planning and management;
- Strong marketing, creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to mentor, motivate, and develop the potential of student-athletes in the context of competitive sport, while fostering positive work and learning environments will be critical.