No Longer Accepting Applications
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced individual to join our team as a Database Engineer with the Basketball Operations Department. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operation, building, and maintenance of the data architecture supporting the Phoenix Suns' Basketball Operations’ needs. The successful candidate will ensure the effective collection, storage, and retrieval of large datasets, helping to drive data-driven decision-making within the organization.
We strive for a work culture that aﬀords employees ﬂexibility, autonomy, and trust. All work, including workplace flexibility, should be performed within Arizona.
What Will You Do:
- Collaborate with the Manager, Basketball Data Infrastructure to define the team's data architecture strategy, ensuring alignment with the organization's goals and objectives.
- Design, build, and maintain scalable and efficient data pipelines, database systems, and data storage solutions to support the collection and management of large datasets related to basketball operations, including player performance, scouting, analytics, and other relevant data sources.
- Build ingestion systems to extract, transform, and load data to the cloud database, working with the Manager, Basketball Data Infrastructure to decide which technologies are ideal for each task.
- Ensure the effective integration of new data sources and technologies, adapting the existing data architecture as needed to accommodate emerging requirements and opportunities.
- Monitor and optimize the performance, reliability, and security of the team's data architecture, proactively addressing any issues or concerns that may arise.
- Troubleshoot and resolve database-related issues, implementing appropriate backup and recovery procedures within the Snowflake environment to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners in Basketball Operations, including data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders, to understand their data needs and ensure the data architecture effectively supports their requirements.
- Stay current on industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in data engineering, database management, and data storage solutions, identifying opportunities to enhance the team’s data architecture and competitive advantage.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation pertaining to data architecture, database configuration, troubleshooting, and best practices to facilitate knowledge transfer and incur timely and accurate data delivery.
- Assist with the evaluation and implementation of new technology solutions related to data engineering and database management.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, building, and maintaining scalable and efficient data pipelines, databases, and data storage solutions.
- Proficient in SQL and a well verse understanding of ETL processes.
- Deep knowledge of clean-coding principles.
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle, conducting daily standups, agile methodologies, backlog management, etc.
- Expert in at least one object-oriented programming language; Python preferred.
- Experience with Snowflake’s cloud environment preferred.
- Familiarity using the AWS Suite (Lamdba, S3) preferred.
- Implementation of CI/CD frameworks preferred.
- Experience building out end-to-end testing preferred.
- Exposure to the Atlassian suite of products (BitBucket, SourceTree, Confluence) preferred.
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational and project management skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Passion for basketball and a deep understanding of the sport's nuances, strategies, and trends.