- Organizes and directs the day to day activities of staff and performs tasks required for the operation
and maintenance of a ski centre, including the inspection, repair and maintenance of passenger ropeways, chair lifts, and associated equipment
- Organizes/multi-tasks work as required, and directs the day to day activities of the turf crew under
the incumbent’s jurisdiction including arranging the necessary materials and equipment to ensure that it is completed in a timely and efficient manner
- Directs and performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks involved in the maintenance, development and
operation of City parks, including landscaping, turf cultural practices, general maintenance, repairs, snowploughing/salting and snow removal in connection with duties as assigned by the Supervisor
- Organizes and directs the day-to-day activities of staff and performs tasks required for the maintenance and operation of City parks
- Operates, and performs daily inspections of ski centre passenger ropeway systems, and chair lifts,
including the drive terminal, return terminal, tensioning equipment, loading /unloading areas, line equipment, passenger carriers, detachable carriers and safety systems. Performs periodic tests of all passenger ropeway systems, and chair lifts to diagnose their performance and to ensure all legislative
requirements are met
- Determines and takes corrective measures to ensure a high quality and safe skiing surface
- Assigns work, establishes maintenance schedules to meet prescribed standards, instructs and trains staff in all aspects of ski centre maintenance and park maintenance and provides feedback on performance
- Operates various types of motor vehicles, snow grooming machines, mechanized snowmaking equipment, snowplows and salters, ski lifts; and mechanized grounds maintenance, grass cutting, or other specialized equipment. Provides practical training, audits performance and signs skills passports for Ski Lift Mechanics-in-Training (Ski Centre Servicers)
- Performs annual set-up and dismantling of the Ski Centre and the maintenance and repairs to the
snowmaking system, grooming equipment and ski lifts. Oversees the work of contractors
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Must be physically capable of performing all of the required duties, and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be available to work shifts / weekends / overtime / holidays / on-call duty.
- Ability to work at heights, and be able to successfully complete “Working at Heights” training.
- Working knowledge of Parks operations and maintenance including relevant equipment, materials, procedures and preventative maintenance programs.
- Ability to operate motorized vehicles related to the position, including specialized snow grooming machines.
- Ability to use hand tools, power tools, mechanical equipment, and to make minor mechanical repairs associated with park operations.
- Effective oral and written communications skills, including the ability to prepare accurate and concise operation reports.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and staff and solve problem situations, taking appropriate action.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Legislative Standards and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be familiar with Parks By-laws and relevant policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain Standard First Aid certification.