No Longer Accepting Applications
Based in Victoria, BC, this 3 yr. full-time PhD position will be required enrollment in all three academic terms during each year and may include some travel within the province of BC.
This position may provide support to multiple facility locations within the Greater Victoria area, travel between sites is the responsibility of the employee.
- Pass the candidacy examination
- Commitment to write and successfully defend a PhD dissertation/thesis in sport science that aligns with CSI Pacific Innovation and Research mandates
- Willingness to seek out and apply for research grants when and if applicable
- Fulfill the course requirements
- Minimum of six units (four courses) of course work at the 500 level or higher
- All courses are valued at 1.5 units.
- Fulfill the breadth requirements
- All PhD programs include the Research skills course which is to be complete over and above the course work required
- Be enrolled and located in Victoria for all 3 academic terms during PhD. completion
- Participate in annual progress reports
- Maintain awareness of the latest developments in Sport Science techniques, research and technology through conferences, seminars and self-directed reading
- Increase the profile of Sport Science via a minimum of one presentation, poster or published practical articles per year
- Communicate and advise coaches and athletes of the latest technological developments
- Work with Head S&C coach to design evidenced based S&C programs establishing short- and long-term goal
- Supervise sport-specific exercises, exercise sequences, sets, repetitions and recovery periods, and coach athletes on correct exercise techniques, safety measures and other methods to maximize the value of training sessions;
- Continually assess athletes and ability to effectively follow programs
- Consult and collaborate with sport medicine professionals to recondition athletes after an injury
- Help design and support flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning exercises in training and prior to competition
- Engage with CSI Pacific S&C Lead / Victoria S&C Ops coordinator for sport training group (coverage) and/or project opportunities as deemed appropriate;
- Test Protocol Implementation & Development
- A (or near completion of) Master’s degree in Sport Science or related field
- 2+ years experience as an S&C Coach
- Successful completion of a Criminal Records Check and verification of relevant education/certifications
- Background as a coach and/or athlete is an asset;
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications and experience working with databases
- Good team building skills and the ability to be flexible and adjust to changing priorities
- The ability to participate in team travel as required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of independence and initiative
- English-French bilingualism is an asset.