No Longer Accepting Applications
The Software Engineer (Baseball Systems) will collaborate with the Scouting teams to assist in acquiring top talent. This position requires strong software development skills and experience, as well as a demonstrated ability for independent thought and the willingness to work within a team framework.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Deliver highly dependable, easy to use software while being part of a fast-moving team.
- Design and develop new features for the Scouting departments including but not limited to tools for the amateur draft, scouting reports, video analysis, etc. while collaborating with Data Engineering, Tech Operations and Research & Development.
- Collaborate with the International Scouting and Domestic Scouting departments on tools for player evaluation and acquisition.
- Propose visualizations or interfaces that communicate the intended information to a broad audience throughout baseball operations.
- Track and log work using project management software and provide meaningful updates to stakeholders.
- Develop and commit maintainable, readable code that is easily understandable by the entire systems department.
- Review, collaborate and brainstorm ideas with team members through code reviews, pull requests, and pair programming.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Experience with software development, including requirements definition, design, development, testing, implementation, and iterative improvement.
- Strong understanding of desktop, laptop and mobile UI/UX design concepts and demonstrated ability to apply responsive design techniques. Particularly focused on representing large data sets in easy to consume user interfaces.
- Familiarity with server-side web programming with Microsoft technologies and SQL Server.
- Working familiarity with advanced statistical concepts, particularly those relevant to player evaluation techniques including experience implementing statistical calculations, derivations, and graphical representations into software applications (experience with R and Mathematica a plus).