The Intern – Landscape Management is a hands-on internship, fully immersing interns into the daily tasks of a grounds crew for a Major League Baseball team. This position is responsible for assisting with overall maintenance and care of the 30-acre landscape surrounding American Family Field and Helfaer Youth Baseball Facility. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to gain additional experience by independently managing the development of projects and leading crew members. The internship is a paid hourly seasonal position running March through November with a 3-month minimum duration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform daily maintenance tasks associated with managing the landscape, including mowing, weeding, moisture management, selective plant pruning, plant installation, hardscaping and landscape cleanliness
- Assist landscape design with annuals, woody shrubs, trees and turf areas, installing portions as necessary during the internship
- Assist with irrigation system maintenance and management
- Safely operate various grounds equipment such as mowers, utility carts, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Have a working knowledge of plant stock in and around the park, with the ability to identify and evaluate the plant stock to ensure health and proper maintenance
- Ability to work independently and in large groups, while effectively leading the staff when called upon
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license
- Candidates must be able to perform physical tasks, with or without accommodation such as lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds