The Houston Astros are adding part-time Mental Performance Apprentices to the team. These positions provide direct mental performance coaching services to our players. The mental performance apprentices will work closely with an integrated staff (medical, S&C, dietitians, coaches, life skills) to provide performance support to players. These two positions will be located in Asheville, NC and Fayetteville, NC.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- With the assistance of the Mental Health & Performance Coordinator, create individualized mental performance plans for players.
- With the assistance of the Mental Health & Performance Coordinator, provide individual mental training to players.
- Maintain up to date licensing and credentials, along with participating in yearly trainings.
- Develop and present group workshops and trainings to players and coaches.
- Communicate consistently and appropriately with members of the Mental Health & Performance Department, medical department, S&C, and other parties as needed.
- Document in detail the services provided throughout the season.
- Assist the Mental Health & Performance Department with the development, implementation, and evaluation of mental performance services for the organization.
- Develop trusting and meaningful relationships with players, coaches, and staff.
- Must follow and uphold AASP ethical standards/maintain CMPC.
- Must possess the ability to self-reflect and display personal & situational awareness.
- Must be able to work independently, while also consulting/collaborating/supporting the MP team.
- Ability to adapt interventions to athletes and coaches of various cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Must be open to learning and actively seek growth opportunities.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Mental Health & Performance Coordinator.
- Completion of Master’s degree focused in Applied Mental Performance, Sport Psychology or similar.
- Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC) through the Association of Applied Sport Psychology or ability to obtain CMPC within a year of hire.
- Fluent Spanish proficiency, both verbal and written
- Baseball/softball experience and knowledge.
- Licensed clinician in North Carolina or Texas