Kingston, ON, Canada
Reporting to the Associate Director, Facilities & Operations, the Manager, Events & Fan Experience is responsible for the development, direction and implementation of a comprehensive events plan designed to enhance the mission, image and reputation of all events delivered within Queen’s University Athletics and Recreation (A&R) facilities. The Manager will proactively develop and implement strategies that serve to enhance the profile and awareness of the “Queen’s University Gaels” brand locally, provincially and nationally, with the goal of increasing spectatorship, promoting Queen’s as an event destination, and increasing participation across A&R programs. This position involves the management of a large student staff team to deliver effective and engaging events, both for the department, and for larger external bookings.
- Provide leadership to the Events & Fan Experience team, providing the necessary strategic vision and direction in event delivery.
- Assist the senior management team to bid and secure major sport (and/or entertainment) events to be staged at A&R venues.
- Develop the annual event delivery calendar and outline key dates and milestones within the calendar.
- Liaise with OUA and USports for provincial and national championship hosting protocols.
- For all events, establish and develop customer satisfaction criteria objectives, ensuring project delivery to customer requirements.
- Communicate with OUA and USports visiting institutions regarding event requirements.
- Actively engage in the planning and coordination of all events for varsity and club programs, providing leadership to staff.
- Provide event management leadership and coordination for department specific events.
- Specifically engage in event management for external third party events to increase venue maximization and experience.
- Demonstrate a standard of professionalism in event management, providing training and guidance to staff to demonstrate standard.
- Manage the events budget for the department; develop budget for specific events and conduct reconciliation and reporting.
- Provide regular pre and post event briefings, develop and have ownership over all event scripting.
- Post-Secondary completion in a related field such as Event Management, Project Management, Sports Management, or other applicable area of study.
- Several years (5 minimum) of experience managing high level event delivery.
- Demonstrated experience applying project management principles.
- Familiarity and experience working in a fast-paced sport environment, in a similar role, is an asset.
- High degree of familiarity with sport and or recreation program delivery.
- Demonstrated understanding of the impact of event delivery on the participant and fan experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the impact of sports and athletics on student experience.
- Proven relationship building experience with demonstrated skills in organizing, motivating and working effectively with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in approach to work.
- Experience in supervision and management in a unionized environment.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.