Alberta Basketball Executive Director
Alberta Basketball Association
No Longer Accepting Applications
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The role requires the ability to foster and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, coaches, officials, partners, government agencies, sponsors,
and members. As such, the ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and provide inspirational leadership to promote the sport of basketball province wide.
Executive Director Responsibilities
The general responsibilities of the ED include, but are not limited to:
- Overall management of the affairs of the Alberta Basketball Association’s with a focus on the delivery of
program excellence in support of: membership growth, sport development and a positive experience for all in a safe sport environment.
- Work with the Board of Directors on the development and implementation of business plans, membership plans and other strategic plans of ABA,
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders at the local, provincial and federal levels
for the strategic and operational success of ABA.
- Act as the primary spokesperson for ABA on general matters of business and seek out and represent ABA at brand building activities.
- Serve as the main point of contact between members, the Board of Directors, ABA staff, key stakeholders, and the public
- Maintain a close working relationship with the ABA President and members of the Executive Committee and meet reporting requirements to the Board of Directors
- Strategic Planning/Execution to ensure that ABA continues to focus on, and achieve, its strategic priorities.
- Financial Management that ensures the current and future financial health of the ABA
- Ensure that all ABA policies are being implemented and followed by staff, membership and partners
- Human Resource Management that meets the staffing needs of the ABA
- Marketing and Development of ABA’s current and future programs and services
- Risk Management, inclusive of Safe Sport, Insurance Coverage, Legal and the ABA Disciplinary process.
- Ensure compliance with the law in all business and ABA matters
- A post-secondary degree; Bachelors or higher.
- Five years of related leadership experience in a complex environment, preferably in the sport sector
- Understanding of the provincial, national, and international basketball landscape is considered an asset
- Excellent strategic planning, financial management, and budgeting expertise
- Demonstrated administrative, project management and personnel management skills
- Experience working with overnment funding agencies/partners and Board of Directors
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem-solving skills and decision-making skills
- Self-starter with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated capacity to maintain and build key stakeholder relationships throughout all levels of the association
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of developing and implementing strategic priorities in equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment, to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage a staff
- Ability to build consensus and identify solutions to complex and contentious problems
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information with discretion, tact, and diplomacy