How to apply
Eagan, MN, USA
The Minnesota Vikings are seeking a Communications Coordinator to join the Communications team and assist with the day-to-day operation of assisting the organization and the media. The ideal candidate will have experience in sports communications, media/journalism or public relations, an excellent attention to detail and a commitment to learn and think critically. This position will be writing intensive and will require high-level writing ability. Knowledge of the National Football League and football statistics is preferred. The individual will also be capable of working across different departments and cultivating relationships within the organization. This is a full-time position.
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
- Assist department in strategic planning and facilitating media interview requests for Vikings coaches, players and staff, understanding interview tone and content and preparing individuals prior to interviews.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Communications, lead the department’s production of all team publications and statistical research.
- Oversee and lead the operation of the Vikings media web site (NFLOMG).
- Lead the creation and editing of documents such as the media guide, weekly game release, which includes player and coach bios, and overseeing the distribution of materials to opponents’ PR departments, network TV and radio broadcast partners.
- Travel with the team for all road games.
- Manage the team roster and track all roster moves.
- Understand and promote the identity of the Vikings and team ownership and assist with the development of appropriate internal and external messaging.
- Assist the Communications Manager with all media credential requests and distribution process.
- Collaborate on the development and execution of football and business communications campaigns and initiatives.
- Compose daily press releases and media advisories, including roster moves and team announcements.
- Utilize Vikings PR Twitter account for social media coverage on team and player milestones.
- Research and summarize game and weekly notes to share on game day with media and broadcast partners.
- Track all-time team and player records via the club’s Top 10 Book.
- Assist in all media logistics, including daily schedules and updates to ensure media are aware and in position to attend practices and serve as on-field liaison during mini-camp, OTAs, training camp and regular season practices.
- Develop relationships with local and national media along with internal Vikings staff.
- Assist with delivering staff messages regarding football and corporate announcements prior to public announcement/media outreach.
- Produce offseason updates of internal and external communications documents, including media handbooks, league-required directories, information guides and other documents.
- Assist in annual award nominations and balloting, including Pro Bowl, NFL Top 100, etc.
- Regularly set up and tear down daily press conferences.
- Assist the scouting and personnel department with research and special projects.
- Execute game day activities, including setting up the press box and coordinating game day interns.
- Maintain the media center at TCO Performance Center as well as the press box work room at U.S. Bank Stadium.
- Handle logistics for photo/video shoots at TCO Performance Center.
- Assist with team autograph days and keep an accurate list within our organized storage room.
- Regularly update and review the departments’ Communications Manual.
- Assist with general media requests regarding Viking Lakes, TCO Performance Center and U.S. Bank Stadium.
- Assist the Communications Manager with operating media monitoring services, such as Meltwater and iQMedia, with the goal of producing quarterly reports and targeted reports as needed.
- Assist in hiring process for communications associates.
- Attend Vikings and NFL events to represent communications team as needed.
- Manage the internal television schedules with staff updates and messages.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or similar field.
- Previous experience within college or professional athletics.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Experience with stat programs such as Pro Football Reference, Next Gen Stats, StatsPass and TruMedia is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of AP style writing and editing along with media monitoring services is a plus.
- Must exhibit core values that align with the Vikings communications department and the organization (We put the team first. We seek to learn. We commit to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We exhibit high character. We strive to achieve.).
- Must exhibit strong communication and active listening skills and an ability to adapt and problem solve in stressful, time-sensitive situations.
- Must be a critical thinker who wants to understand why we do what we do as a department as well as the broader business goals.
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented when it comes to completing tasks.