Chief Operating Officer
This key leadership role will provide a unique mix of management and operational savvy, plus expertise with system change, policies, practices, and procedures within our industry. The COO will offer enterprise-wide support, advancing key initiatives across the organization. As both a change agent and an impactful implementor, the role adds deep system experience with a laser focus on operational implementation, change management, and risk mitigation.
• Collaborate with the viaSport Leadership Team and the Board of Directors to drive organizational strategy, set key priorities, monitor budgets, and advance the most value-creating projects to the finish line.
• Guide organizational plans and project timelines while supporting a highly inclusive culture, ensuring team members thrive.
• Guide and lead change management strategies that support the implementation of transformational systems and organizational projects, including but not limited to:
- Safe sport; drive strategies to improve the culture of sport through the development of policies and best practices in prevention, awareness and education, reporting, conflict and complaint management tools and governance.
- Sport volunteerism: advance province-wide volunteer recruitment, retention, and recognition strategies to address demographic and technology changes that are causing declines in sport volunteerism.
- System data and technology solutions: expedite strategies to replace technology systems that better capture sector data, ensuring decisions are appropriately informed, responsive, and strategic.
• Oversight of successful project implementation through a risk identification and mitigation lens.
- Ensure appropriate mitigation plans have been considered for all projects and strategies.
- Reviews /updates policies, agreements, contracts, etc. and consults with external experts (legal, policy, insurance) as needed.
• “Leads while serving” in support of triangular leadership structure; a crucial member of the Leadership Team who reports only to the CEO.
- Provides a right hand to the CEO and partners with other members of the Leadership Team. Some initiatives will be led by the CEO, others by the COO
• Engage the
- Provide budget and cash management information.
- Supports good governance practices.
- Deep understanding of the Canadian amateur sport ecosystem from national, provincial and local levels.
- An operational wizard with relevant system and change-management experience.
- Demonstratable expertise in propelling growth through operational excellence and risk mitigation.
- Hands-on experience in policy development across an organization.
- Exceptional leadership, communication, relationship building, and conflict resolution skills at all levels of an organization (putting out fires while fostering alignment).
- Financial management skills – understands compliance, investments and liquidity best practices.
- Direct experience in multiple software platforms that link one system to another.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field; MBA preferred with 10+-years of progressively senior management experience in amateur sport