Varsity Sport Coordinator (Athletics & Recreation)
No Longer Accepting Applications
This role demands a high capacity for strategic planning, logistics and multi-faceted program planning. This role is also responsible for building strong relationships with leagues including the OUA, USports and CUFLA. The Coordinator is responsible for the development of long range high performance plans which include developing program and services to support athletes and coaches in their pursuit of excellence.
High Performance Student-Athlete and Coach Development
- Manage six varsity programs and three competitive club programs.
- Work with the Head Coaches and Excalibur Recruiter to establish athlete identification and development strategies required to recruit top student-athletes.
- Work with Head Coaches to develop annual sport programs and implement a detailed monitoring and review process that will capture the performance gaps (review training plans, objectives and personal budget proposals).
- Identify and deliver performance development programs to support Train to compete and Train to Win-level athletes.
- Establish and manage effective working relationships with coaches and technical advisors (Athletic Therapists and Strength Training and Conditioning Coach).
- Attends league meetings (OUA/USport/CUFLA) and applicable Provincial Sport Organization meetings.
- Update Coaching Handbook and Varsity Student-Athlete Handbook, ensuring that all policies are up-to-date.
- Coordinates all statistical and eligibility reporting and ensures compliance with OUA/USport/CUFLA sport information requirements, deadlines and procedures.
- Ensures that all logistics required for varsity home games are coordinated as required and leads a team of student staff (set-up crew, announcer, writer, etc.) to ensure that game set-up is completed as required, and the game is choreographed and run in an efficient and entertaining way for fans.
- Ensure all game scores, stats and other detail is recorded and digitally submitted with the appropriate software to the respective leagues, within two hours of the game completion.
- Coordinates the web casting of all applicable varsity home games, including: working with student staff and volunteers in filming and streaming, announcing all games.
- Works with coaches and vendor to order new uniforms or varsity clothing to be purchased by student-athletes; acts as liaison between the varsity teams and the varsity clothing supplier; develops replacement schedule for uniforms.
- Manages all Trent varsity team equipment and uniforms to ensure that they are clean and ready for the coaches to pick up in a timely manner prior to games and practices. Orders all varsity equipment as needed.
- Coordinates team training camps, working with coaches and Conference Services to arrange for accommodations, meals, and ensuring that field bookings are secured.
- Works with Trent Health in Motion to ensure that Athletic Therapists and in season support is available to all teams.
- Works with the Assistant Director, Sport and Student Engagement, the Excalibur Recruiter and the Recruitment and Admissions Office in recruiting student-athletes to Trent.
- Communicates with varsity student-athletes to coordinate annual program review, enabling all student-athletes the opportunity to evaluate all aspects of the varsity program.
- Supports the Assistant Director, Sport and Student Engagement in hiring new coaches.
- Develops and ensures that all coaches complete all annual training and contractual requirements.
- Assists the Assistant Director, Sport and Student Engagement in conducting pre-season and end-of-season performance evaluations for all coaches.
- Recommends and develops opportunities for coaching development throughout the year.
- Responsible for all travel arrangements for team away games during season.
- Serves as the first point of contact for coaches, other universities and the leagues in which Trent participates for all varsity business.
- Minimum two years’ of progressive work experience in coordinating a university or college level varsity sport program and planning of high performance sport programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience eligibility parameters in university sport and with a wide variety of sport rules and game requirements with OUA, USports, CUFLA.
- Experience in high performance coaching and student-athlete development.
- Computer skills: Internet and Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, and Word), Legend Recreation Management Software, Blackboard.
- Ability to set and achieve strategic objectives and perform in a fast-paced, and rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to influence positive change
- Must have excellent interpersonal, customer service and communication skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to interact effectively with coaches, student-athletes, staff, and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, time management and planning skills.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Experience managing staff; experience hiring, training and supervising student staff.
- Current Standard First Aid and AED.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s license (Class ‘G’ minimum) and access to a vehicle.