The Medical Coordinator, working on a high-quality preventative and reactive basis, is responsible for key processes required to provide sport medicine support services to high performance athletes. The Medical Coordinator works closely with in-house and external physicians to ensure athletes receive medical attention in a timely manner.
The Medical Coordinator will complete approximately half of their work remotely, and half in person when our physicians are on site for athlete visits and medical screenings (occasionally on Thursdays, most Fridays, and occasionally on weekends).
- Responsible for communicating daily sport medicine scheduling with the CSIO main reception desk and for greeting athletes and directing them to the appropriate location for their appointment.
- Liaising between athletes, practitioner’s offices and sport organizations. Answering the phone and receiving facsimiles on the lines dedicated to sport
- Answering general questions from athletes, coaches and other about sport medicine and therapy services provided by CSIO.
- Scheduling appointments for athletes with internal physicians
- Coordinating appointment bookings for athletes to schedule out-of-house consultations, testing and treatment with physicians and therapists
- Booking practitioners, consultation rooms and required equipment for athlete appointments
- Liaising with laboratory testing service providers to arrange for a technician to be on-site for laboratory tests, when mutually agreed by a sport and CSIO
- Working with the Performance Pathways Advisors, Manager, Performance Services, or Integrated Support Team Leads to book group performance health monitoring assessments
- Responsible for managing the OHIP billing system (including monthly reconciliation) as well as athlete or sport billing for consumables and uninsured services
- Tracking time spent by CSIO physicians providing services uninsured by provincial Medicare plans and dedicated to specific sports (including time spent in a Daily
- Training Environment or Training Camp, travel with a team, and performance health monitoring examinations), and reporting these amounts to Manager of
- Performance Services for accounts record keeping
- Ensuring electronic medical records are appropriately completed in order to bill OHIP for insured services
- Responsible for reconciling invoices from laboratory service providers and communicating regarding these fees with Manager of Performance Services for accounts record keeping
Medical Records and Database Management
- Becoming an expert in navigating OSCAR EMR and Smartabase databases and executing relevant administrative functions within
- Importing any requisitions, prescriptions, referrals, lab results consultation notes, radiology reports, historical medical records or any other relevant documents generated from outside our Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system and received via mail, fax or e-mail into the appropriate database (OSCAR EMR, and in some cases Smartabase)
- Following up with external physicians’ or other service providers’ offices to obtain legible records or clarify their content if any records or notes received from them are illegible or unclear
- Exploring alternative medical record solutions, such as through Smartabase
Laboratory Test Coordination and Records
- Coordinating between CSIO physicians and external National Sport Organization (NSO) -nominated physicians to determine what will be performed on which athletes
- Monitoring online uploads from labs to check when bloodwork results are posted, ensuring that they are properly linked to patient records and flagged for attention from relevant physicians, as well as following up with those physicians as may be needed to ensure that they attend to their flagged reports
- Responsible for administering and recording some medical tests, including anthropometry (height and mass), resting 12-lead electrocardiograms (ECGs) and flow-volume loop Pulmonary Function
- Tests (PFTs) as components of performance health monitoring
- CSIO Performance Services team
- CSIO Directors & CEO
- Canadian Olympic & Paralympic Sport Institute Network
- CSIO Athletes
- External practitioners and clinics
- External facilities across Ontario
- All CSIO staff