The Sports Scientist / Data Analyst will work directly with the first team and be the primary lead in data collection and analysis. To be successful, candidates will show a passion in progressive thinking using soccer and performance data analysis, demonstrate a desire to research in health & performance science to find competitive edges and be an excellent communicator to key stakeholders across the club including the Head Coach, Head of Sports Science & Medicine, Director of Analytics, and GM. In collaboration with others in the Performance Department, individuals will play a key role in monitoring player health and performance needs of athletes at the club.
- Manage collection, analysis, and reporting of performance data sets, including but not limited to readiness to train, wellness, training, fatigue monitoring, physical performance and match performance data.
- Optimize player performance through the use of data analysis by facilitating informed and educated decision making with key medical, performance, and coaching stakeholders.
- Deliver insight and findings to key stakeholders within the performance department and coaching staff related to data analysis.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders about innovative and progressive findings in the field of health and performance science.
- Ideate strategies to increase physical key performance indicators and decrease injury risk.
- Manage integration of current analytical tools into a central data management system.
- Regularly research and present scientific factors that influence player performance and injury risk.
- Experiment with our datasets to find new relationships between physical data and performance on field.
- Develop new models/dashboards/reports to analyze physical health of the players throughout the course of the season.
- Manage the department of Fellow Data Analyst staff for the first team, second team and academy – ensuring the leadership, alignment and flow of all sports science data.
- Ability to integrate and cover other aspects within the Performance Department – i.e. fitness and strength sessions.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of Sports Science & Medicine or Director of Analytics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, Data Analytics, or related fields, required.
- Master’s Degree in related field, or working towards, preferred.
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) certification by the NSCA, or equivalent by UKSCA, preferred.
- Passion for Sports and Data Analysis, soccer experience, preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in collecting and analyzing large data sets.
- Competency with programs such as Excel and Tableau.
- Experience with performance systems preferred (StatSports, Vald, Oura).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience working in collaborative environment.
- Must be willing to travel for business – weekend work and travel is necessary.