The Legends Director is a critical component to the team’s dedication and efforts to support its players throughout the entirety of their career and beyond. This role is actively involved in the off-the-field development of players and their transition away from the game and is primarily tasked with establishing long-lasting, meaningful relationships predicated on trust, creating and executing holistic Legends programs, as well as identifying resources and events aimed at both the personal and professional growth and the wellbeing of former players.
Legends Relations & Development
- Manage all aspects of the Legends department, including ideation and execution of Legends programming, as well as management and development of a high-performance Legends team.
- Direct all Panthers Legends programs and initiatives with a focus on engaging, establishing and strengthening relationships with former players.
- Manage the transition of players out of the NFL and/or away from the Panthers organization
- Serve as liaison between Panthers Legends and the team, performing consistent outreach and (re)-engagement with the organization.
- Maintain regular communication with Legends via direct contact, email campaigns, events, and social media.
- Ensure the existence of a comprehensive and accurate Legends database, as well as personal information provided by Legends is handled in a professional and confidential manner.
- Establish standard for best practices for all Legends appearances and events.
- Develop personal and professional relationships based on credibility, trust, effective communication, and respect to effectively assess former player needs, establish programming objectives, and maximize participation in and effectiveness of Legends development and engagement initiatives
- Implement comprehensive, strategic, innovative, and individualized plans and programs to better position former players to succeed beyond the field – most commonly through education, mentorship, and encouragement of use of team, league, and players association resources and participation in programs aimed at addressing both the needs and the interests.
- Develop internal benefits and perks program.
- Broaden and strengthen development offerings, resources (NFL, NFLPA, Carolina Panthers, and external), and effective communication thereof
- Collaborate with the National Football League on “Legends Program” opportunities, programs, and resources.
- Establish career support services that connect Legends with resources including professional development programs, training opportunities, and networking events
- Assist players in exploring second careers through identifying and/or creating internship and job shadow opportunities, arranging professional assessments, and assisting with the development of resumes and interview skills
- Coordinate and lead relevant workshops for former players (and their significant others) on relevant topics and skills.
- Consistently and effectively respond to personal issues with empathy and refer Legends and their families to qualified resources for assistance when appropriate
- Provide proactive mentoring, crisis intervention, encouragement, and creative problem solving for former players and their eco-system
- Oversee events and programs including Legends Weekend, networking opportunities, signings, community, game-day appearances, Legends-rookie dinner, Legends lunches, dinner & discuss, and training camp visits, as well as Legends gifting program (incl. seasonal gifts, game tickets, etc.)
- Establish Panthers Legends gameday ambassadors program (incl. suite visits and other to be determined gameday responsibilities)
- Stay current on all league and players association policies and programs related to former players and their families