How to apply
Berkeley, CA, USA
The Cal Athletics Fund is the fundraising and alumni relations arm of UC Berkeley’s Intercollegiate Athletics Department - Cal Athletics. Each year, the department plans and executes over 100 alumni, donor and fan events with the goal of increasing philanthropic support and overall engagement with Cal Athletics. The Director of Donor Engagement and Special Events works regularly with internal and external stakeholders including coaches, athletics leadership and development officers to plan complex events and is responsible for managing all details including but not limited to: guest lists, invitations, ticketing, parking, facilities, concessionaires, caterers, rentals, facilities, and staffing. The Director is a key member of the Donor Engagement Team and will supervise and support a small team of event professionals. This role reports directly to the Assistant Athletics Director of Development and will work with this individual to develop overarching goals and strategies for Cal Athletics Fund events.
- Plans, organizes and implements events focused on fundraising and Cal alumni engagement for all 30 sports programs with a particular emphasis on football, men’s and women’s basketball, and department signature events.
- Events may range from small donor dinners to 1500+ person tailgates.
- Manages all aspects of events including but not limited to: guest lists, invitations, ticketing, parking, facilities, concessionaires, caterers, rentals, A/V, décor design, budget, facilities, and staffing coordination.
- Serves as on-site contact during events and travels as needed to provide event support.
- Uses departmental database and procedures to provide event briefings, produce invitations, collect attendee data and provide a post-event analysis.
- Coordinates with University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR), liaisons with the Chancellor’s office, coordinates attendance and participation of department leadership (including the Director of Athletics), leads event preparation meetings and manages high level donor and alumni relationships with confidentiality. Contributes to department’s overarching event strategy.
- Provides reporting and analysis of past events in a timely matter in order to facilitate future planning.
- Develops event concepts that will advance the goals of the Cal Athletics Fund including identifying new target event regions, building vendor relationships, or engaging new donor or alumni populations.
- Supervises a small team of full-time event professionals and supports them in their day to day work and events.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent training/experience.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and public relations, including event design, organization and production.
- Has previously demonstrated a high level of customer service and donor stewardship.
- 2 years of management experience overseeing full time staff.
- Ability to lead a team of event professionals while simultaneously planning and executing assigned events.
- Skill in effectively managing event budgets and business office processes and protocols.
- Experience working and collaborating with both internal and external partners to achieve desired goals and outcomes.
- Proven leader who can represent Cal Athletics at events and development functions.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills including political acumen and social perceptiveness.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism at all times and adeptly navigates department systems; strong emphasis on confidentiality.